Dark Island, 8 Yard Handmade Kilt
Dark Island Black Ready Made 8 Yard Kilt
The Dark Island Black tartan handmade 8 yard kilt, ready to wear
- Handmade by our local expert kilt makers
- Made in Scotland
- 8 yards of cloth to ensure the correct depth and number of pleats
- Quality natural-fibre canvas and linings help make the kilt breathable & hard-wearing
- Three quality leather straps at the waist and one at the hip ensure a comfortable fit
- Tucked-in selvedge edge provides a non-fraying finish to the bottom of the kilt
- Double Buckles. If you find your weight fluctuates a little bit or you are planning on gaining or losing weight in the future, double buckles are a great way of making the kilt more accommodating. The ready order kilt we have here is supplied with double buckles to allow for this.
- These beautiful ready made kilts are made pleat to sett. Pleating to the sett is the most common type of pleating which results in the kilt looking the same at the front and the back. A full sett of the tartan is folded into each pleat so that the tartan pattern appears to be continuous across all the pleats.
We offer a large variety of pleating and customisation options to tailor the look of the kilt, please contact our team if you wish to find out more
The history of the kilt stretches back to at least the end of the 16th century. The first kilt around this time was called the 'Felieadh Mor' or more commonly known as the 'Great Kilt', a full length garment whose upper half could be worn as a cloak draped over the shoulder, or brought up over the head as a hood. The kilt you see today were not developed until the late 17th or early 18th century, and is essentially the bottom half of the 'Great Kilt'